In loving Memory

My debut album was launched in memory of my Dad, Rasheed Ayinla Lasisi whose love for great music of varying genres was very much influencial in affording me a flair for varying sounds of music.


Fondly called DaddyLas by us his children and "Las for the masses"by people who belonged to a world revolving around diverse aspects of his life, DaddyLas was a renowned genius. Agreeably the best glassblower in Nigeria in  his time, he produced scientific glassware crafted with impeccable attention to detail and was once refered to by the English who he had worked with back in 1969( in one of the British national dailies) as the "black man doing wonders". Wonders he mastered while studying in Germany and perfected over several years working in various countries and Nigerian states.

He loved football. That is putting it mildly because the masses who called him coach obviously viewed or knew him as a man who understood the sport well enough to be an authority in the field. His love and knowledge of the sport was undeniable, I never got to see him display his skills on the field as coach, but his yellow and black Jersey was enough proof for me of his position in the world of football. I mostly saw him playing from his seat, while matches were aired on the TV, as he hosted quite a number of people in the viewing center...our sitting room, each time.

Daddy was a quiet achiever with a great sense of humour and though he was not really the chatty type, he always found a way to let us know that he loved his family. He and MummyLas were two lovebirds of a kind. Many times I remember and still long to see his gentle smile assuring me that I have his support , his approval or his affirmation at one point or the other in my life.

I met an old friend of his during one of my music tours to Lagos in 2019, 7 years after his demise and I was the proud daughter listening to what he had to say about my dad. He said, " One thing I really admired about and learnt from Mr, R. A. Lasisi is that whatever you find to do, do well", and I totally agreed. He didnt just say it (infact he hardly said it), he lived it.

At home everything worked. If any electrical fixture or electronic needed repair or replacement, he made sure it was done and done properly. He never settled for anything less than the best. The best of everything (within his capability of course) was his choice always and music was not left out.

He sure did his best and left the rest


Rest on my dear Daddy, in the bossom our Lord whom you got to know and serve.

  • I miss you.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts